Monday, January 26, 2009

Travel, Thinking, and Stress

As many of you know I have been traveling a lot this winter. Let us just say that traveling out of State College in the winter with unpredictable weather is really not fun. So this travel has been for interviews for tenure track positions. I feel like this travel has not only been physical travel but also a personal exploration into what I want in my career, where we as a couple want to live, and what type of place we want to end up living for several years. I have tried on different places (FYI shoes are much more fun to try on), weighed the pros on and cons (professionally and personally), spent many sleepless nights (even on my vacation in Mexico), and have really struggled with decisions. (I've been a basket case for weeks) I feel totally spent after the decision we made today, but have to refocus to work on new projects, grants, and adventures in townhome improvements.
I have one more interview this season (I'll be posting from a new airport in the near future, guess which one? it is not philly...hint...I will be in the midwest and end up somewhere on the front range...). I will see what this new place has to offer and how we feel about it.
I'd like to thank family and friends and especially Simon for being so supportive during this process. Love you!

4 comments:

jenni said...

I am excited for you too! It will all be worth it.

nicole said...

it is exciting - keep your chin up!

burggie77 said...

keep on looking for the perfect place it will be worth it. Don't forget to pray.
love you.

Grant Factor said...

These are circumstances you can't plan for... but when you're in the moment and you and Simon have to make a decision on a timeline (with many "interested parties" waiting)... well, your judgment in that situation and your ability to make the best call in that moment, that's why you have been successful and will continue to be successful. And, while it probably seems dark and tough right now... you and Simon will get through this, you guys will make the best decision, and the results of that decision will yield a wonderous adventure for the two of you in years to come.

Got you guys in my thoughts!

G