Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lacy On Tour: June Travel Update

I wanted to quickly update you on all our activities in the month of June. I am so happy to be home after all of my travels but I had a great time and learned so much! I spent 5 days at home during the month of June between trips to Indy, Chicago, and as a visiting research scientist at Hopkins in Baltimore.
During my trip to Chicago I gave a presentation at GSSI. It was a great experience and I felt confident about my presentation. It was a lot of fun!
When I returned from Chicago Simon and I spent a few days together before I headed to Baltimore for 3 weeks. I stayed with my former colleague, Caitlin. I am so grateful to her for showing me the ropes in the lab and entertaining me during my visit. I was there to be more well versed in the molecular and cellular techniques that our collaborator use when analyzing the skin samples that I send them. It was great! I also observed many other types of experiments and provided my input on drafts of grants and papers. The lab I visited is a busy, productive, exciting place to be. The PI Dan has such enthusiasm for science and vascular biology that it is contagious! I hope that I emulate that enthusiasm in the lab that I'm currently in and in my own lab some day.
During the weekends I spent time with our good friends Mike and Priti in DC. We met Mike and Priti when we first moved to State College and they have become like family. I was on the phone with Simon one night and he said, "I'm so glad you are getting a chance to spend time with family." They are truly like family to us! Thanks Mike and Priti!!!!
Simon spent 2 weeks in Oregon visiting his family while I was in Baltimore. I'll let him post an update on all of his adventures. I know he learned a lot from Isaac about not weed and invasive plant species. Thanks Isaac!
We are grateful to be home together again! It was a great career and personal learning experience, but we missed each other. Being apart from Simon and away from my home made me appreciate my wonderful friends, colleagues, and how blessed I am for the lifestyle I have.

No comments: