I've had a rough couple of weeks since we returned from Colorado. I've had a subject in the lab every Saturday for the past three weeks and have been pulling long work hours in general. Consequently, I haven't been doing much cooking. This Saturday I decided to try something adventurous! This is Tequila Lime Salmon on a cedar plank with a mango avocado salsa. I know it sounds kind of strange but it was really good! The flavors were pretty complex. I like my other recipe for salmon on a cedar plank better, but I'll give you both recipes and you can try them for yourself. The tequila lime marinade would be great with chicken or steak (if you like steak) but was a bit too strong for salmon.
We started the meal with a little vino, some French cheese and bread. Look at one of our baby tomatoes! So cute and so yummy! The other tomatoes have been a bit bigger.Tequila Lime Marinade
Note: I don't measure when I cook most of the time (except for baking) so this is just an estimation.
1. Juice of 1-2 limes
2. 1 shot of tequila
3. 1 teaspoon salt
4. Freshly ground black pepper
5. Chopped fresh cilantro
To cook salmon on a cedar plank soak and untreated piece of cedar for at least 2 hours (could be overnight) then simply put the salmon on the plank on the grill put the grill cover down and the salmon will be done in about 35-45 min (depending on the size of the salmon fillet or steak).
Alternate Marinade (my favorite):
1. 1/3 cup of soy sauce
2. 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
3. Freshly ground black pepper
Then after you put the salmon on the plank put about 1/4' of loosely packed brown sugar on top. The sugar melts and the salmon smokes on the cedar and it is absolutely incredibly!
Finally, another adventurous topping and/or salsa for a grilled dish. It is also great with tortilla chips. The only problem is that it only keeps for about 1 day.Avocado Mango Salsa
1. 2 ripe avocados diced
2. 1 mango (I like them on the tart side0
3. Juice of 1 lime
4. Freshly chopped cilantro
5. 1 teaspoon salt


No comments:
Post a Comment