Friday, May 23, 2008

Pinot Noir Tasting

We have been collecting wine for some time now. We love to visit vineyard, go wine tasting, and bring home a few bottles to remember the fun time we had. It is one of our favorite special things to do. We started wine tasting while living in Eugene and now every time we get away to celebrate a romantic weekend, we go wine tasting. Our favorite place to visit our east has been Ontario. While the wine is good in Canada, it doesn't stand up to Oregon wine.
We have these "special" bottles that sit in our wine rack while we buy wine from large distributors too afraid to open the special bottles. A couple of weeks ago we opened a bottle of wine we bought up in Canada at this beautiful vineyard at Niagara on the Lake. We were so excited to share it with our friend and enjoy a nice glass of wine. We have such great memories of the trip and we couldn't wait to taste the wine again. Well, it was terrible! I'm not sure if the wine sat in the wine rack for too long (it was a red) or if our palate have changed so much because we have been exposed to so much more wine.
This weekend we have decided to have an Oregon pinot noir tasting event. We have a bottle from King Estates and one from Willammette Valley. I'm going to go to the wine store and buy a cheap bottle of pinot and then we are going to do a blind tasting with some friends. We are also going to break open a bottle of dessert wine that we have had for 6 years (port like wine from Edgefield that we moved to PA from Oregon, I hope that one is still okay). I thought I'd grill up some salmon and we are going to celebrate and share the fruits of the motherland during the holiday weekend.
I'll post pictures of the party and the tasting notes.
Any suggestions for a successful party are welcome!

No comments: