Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Questions...thoughts...struggles...heart...faith

Okay, so I've been thinking (could be dangerous) way too much lately.
As a scientist we are taught that there is this career trajectory that we are supposed to be on and we are supposed to do certain things and take a certain path. If you deviate from this path some people criticize you. (Yes we are an opinionated bunch!) I don't agree with this, but these critical people still get to me.
I've been very fortunate on this path of science and I truly love what I do (I think I'm pretty good at it too). Then these situations arrive where there are choices and decisions to be made. The funny thing is that we are brainwashed to think that we supposed to make certain choices for the better of our career but rarely do we think (and base our decision on) what is going to make us happy.
I have a choice now, a decision to make by April 30th, this is a career choice and a lifestyle choice, and I'm having a really hard time. The choices are great and I'm so very fortunate to have a choice (I really shouldn't complain), but I'm having a hard time because there is not a right answer and I don't think I will know the ramifications of making this choice for a long time (if ever). My scientist brain doesn't like this! I've been told to follow my heart, is it okay that my heart is telling me that I should do something that is not in line with this traditional trajectory? I've also been told to take a leap of faith. I think that following my heart will require me to take that leap of faith.

4 comments:

nicole said...

lacy - although i don't know that i've ever made a decision as big as this one i have been in that position. it is hard, but yes deviate if that is what your heart is telling you. life is WAY to short to do things for other people. i am slowly (very slowly) learning this. you must do what is going to make you happy in the long run even if it isn't the traditional path. just the fact that you have a choice that isn't traditional may be an idicator that it is the right way. All that being said there is nothing wrong with going the traditional route if that is what is best for you and your family.

good luck with this decision. im so glad that you have a choice.

jenni said...

i think maybe your question is answered already by your heart...

Anonymous said...

I have just been though this too as you know....I followed my heart and although it feel scary it feels right. Lets talk this weekend...

Lacy & Simon said...

Thanks guys! I hesitated blogging about this, but I'm glad I did. I'll keep you posted, but I think my brain is becoming more comfortable with what my heart is feeling.
Have a great weekend!